Tuesday 14 March 2017

Where was i...?

or 'yet another 'sorry for my absence' type of post'.

I know... Real life again. Things have been a bit thin on the 8/16-bit front for a while as I've been a wee bit busy working for those fine folks at Feral Interactive getting other peoples games up and running on MacOS. Then, just as I settled into that a job offer for my girlfriend came up in the Netherlands, so there was the small matter of hauling my Mac (and a cross-section of 80s and 90s machines) across to the Hague, settling in there, trying to learn the language. This brings me to my top tip for Dutch people - If you'd like us to actually do this (and some of us think that it'd be pretty gezellig thing to do) maybe you could stop being so helpful and speaking perfect English to us? :)

So I've finally gotten around to coding a mixture of new and old stuff again, depending on mood.

I've not done absolutely nothing though - there has been the odd bit of music here and there.


This raster split-tastic intro by Cosine has a Cover of 'Bliss' by Muse. I was suprised by how well this worked out actually.

Important note: I made a little typo on the copyright note, so if you take it literally then Muse covered me. I don't think I need to point out that that's not the case.

I liked this one...


...In fact I liked it so much I ported it over to the Atari 8-bit and we used it again :)

What can I say? What you lose in instrument quality you gain with that 4th channel I really could've done with on the SID.

Back again on the subject of covers of stuff I like I did a cover of 'Here comes your man' by the Pixies, which got the usual splendid DYCP scroll, logos and raster split treatment.

And 'In the interest of balance' as the BBC like to say yet another cover done for this years AtariAge new years disk. This was a reworking of a tune I remembered hearing back in the 90s bundled with various DOS Adlib music editors, forgot about and then it turned up in my youtube playlist. So I had to do something to get the damn thing out of my head again.


Then there's the matter of work stuff, Which is more numerous but it gets messy in terms of attribution. Not only because it's porting work (So more like translation than writing, and not my original work to start with), but also because there's games I've done 'myself', games I've helped with, common company code that I've written that's in every game since, and the odd fact that my favorite game I can (vaguely) lay claim to is the one where I wasn't officially working on it, but someone found code I'd written helped, cut+paste it in, and left me a thank you in the bugtracker. Life is strange sometimes...

Even in the '100% me' games there's the aforementioned huge chunk of shared code without which I'd get nowhere, so I can't rightfully claim 100% of anything. But hey! that's modern development for you.


No comments:

Post a Comment